Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Creating a Peaceful Environment in the Montessori Classroom: Noise Levels

teacher students circle time peaceful NAMC montessori environment noise levels

In order to create a quiet classroom, the environment must first be established. This generally means a change in behavior in both the Montessori teacher and the student. To create this atmosphere, it is important that all adults in the Montessori classroom agree to react the same way and that once a change is made; it isn't changed again for quite some time. Creating a peaceful and comfortable Montessori environment is largely connected to the noise levels of the classroom. Here are some helpful tips on creating a wonderful, calm and quiet environment for your students.

Changes to Create a Peaceful Montessori Environment: Proximity and Noise Levels


There should never be a reason to call across the classroom. Children should be close enough to the adult who is speaking to them to be able to speak in a soft voice. When I need to speak to a child or my co-teacher, I make sure that I walk across the room to address them. If I hear a child calling out to me or shouting across the room, I will walk quietly over to that child and explain to her that I would like her to come to me instead of calling out to me. The next time the child calls out to me, I will ignore her until she remembers to come seek me. I then give descriptive praise (“I like the way you came to me when you had a question”) to reinforce the positive behavior.

This was a hard lesson for me to learn as a new Montessori teacher. It seemed so much easier to simply call out to a child. It takes effort to walk to each child individually in order to speak to them. However, after being observed by a mentor, I realized that I was the cause for some of the noise level in my own Montessori classroom. Once I made the decision not call out, I noticed a big difference in the behavior of my children. Children are great imitators of the adults in their lives. If you are calm and using a quiet voice, the children will learn to do so also.

The attitude of the teacher cannot be emphasized enough. Verbally chastising a child for being noisy is ineffective. Often children are noisy or call out because they have learned this is an effective way to gain attention. It is best to quietly approach the child and gently remind them that they are to use quiet, inside voices. Doing this is respectful and engages the child in the process.

When we’re in circle and I’m waiting for the group to quiet down, I sit quietly and wait patiently for them to quiet down. Often, a child who is ready will whisper “Michelle has her waiting face on”. If it seems like I’ve waited longer than necessary, I will casually notice aloud how quickly some have gotten ready or simply state that I appreciate those who are sitting quietly, waiting. The key is never raising my voice. When I wish for the students to be quiet, I keep my voice calm and soft. Raising your own voice only ensures that the children’s voices will rise as well. I also have known Montessori teachers who do not “sssshhhhh” their children as they feel this sound is harsh and only adds to the noise level in the classroom.

When you need to get the attention of the whole class, find a quiet, unobtrusive way to signal for their attention. A peace bell, a chime, a Tibetan singing bowl, or a rainstick are quiet and peaceful sounds. I had a friend who chose to use a small gong, but soon found the sound quite harsh and irritating. Unfortunately, her children had grown to love it and she was forced to use it for the rest of the year!
It is important to remember that in a Montessori classroom, quiet and calm do not come from threats or promises of rewards. A peaceful classroom is the result of children engaged in their work. The Montessori teacher is the best model. If you want a quiet classroom, you must model being quiet yourself.

For more information on this topic and other related Montessori classroom management topics, consider purchasing NAMC’s new Montessori 6-12 Classroom Guide.
As much as possible, NAMC’s web blog reflects the Montessori curriculum as provided in its teacher training programs. We realize and respect that Montessori schools are unique and may vary their schedules and offerings in accordance with the needs of their individual communities. We hope that our readers will find our articles useful and inspiring as a contribution to the global Montessori community.
© North American Montessori Center - originally posted in its entirety at Montessori Teacher Training on Wednesday, June 13, 2007.

3 comments:

  1. As soon as the older children enter the class, after the morning prayer,they start talking loudly and start discussion without choosing work. How to make them work silently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you feel about a short discipline of silent work to aide concentration in a Montessori setting...anywhere from 5-30 minutes?

    ReplyDelete

Have questions or comments? Let us know what you thought about this article!

We appreciate feedback and love to discuss with our readers further.

NAMC Blog Inquiries Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Search the NAMC Montessori Teacher Training Blog

Are you interested in reading back through NAMC's blog articles from years gone by, or for more information on a specific topic?

Browse a select list of our most popular categories below; by clicking on one, you will see every article posted under that topic since 2007. You may also use the lower archive menu to select a year and month, displaying all blog posts in the chosen time frame.

If you are seeking a range of information on a certain topic or idea, try this search box for site-wide keyword results.

Choose From a List of Popular Article Topics

NAMC Montessori Series

Montessori Philosophy and Methodology

Montessori Classroom Management

The School Year

Montessori Materials

Montessori Curriculum

Montessori Infant/Toddler (0–3) Program

Montessori Early Childhood (3–6) Program

Montessori Elementary (6–12) Programs

What is Montessori?

Search Archives for Montessori Blog Posts by Date


Thank you to the NAMC Montessori community!

NAMC has been providing quality Montessori distance training and curriculum development to Montessorians around the globe for more than 25 years. Since beginning in 1996, we have grown to build a fantastic community of students, graduates, and schools in over 160 countries. We are grateful for your continued support and dedication to furthering the reach and success of the Montessori method.